ABC Bodyart was started by Vonetta Berry in 2004, Houston, Texas. She began the company after having been a face painter at The Six Flags Theme park during highschool. Soon after college she began to work as a face painter for the Chicago Bulls at the United Center. Upon returning to Houston, after graduating from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, she worked at the Tillman Fertita properties, Downtown Aquarium, and Kemah Boardwalk.
ABC Bodyart began as a face painting company providing services for the Downtown Aquarium, for the first 7 years. During this time, it grew from one artist to 8 artists, and trained many others in face painting and the skills required to be a working artist. Vonetta continued to exhibit in fine art group and solo exhibitions, but no longer as a painter or illustrator, but as a bodyartist. She began training her face painters as body artists, and in 2006 they began creating stage performances for their body art creations and even performed as the opening act for the 2 Live Crew!.
In 2010, ABC Bodyart joined in partnership with Comicpalooza, Texas' Largest Pop Culture Convention. They built a Cosplayer network of more than 15 cosplayers, who would get painted and participate in entertaining the crowds, posing, with fans, and even doing the Debra Duncan show, for 3 years in a row. It was an amazing way to grow, in the creation of full body characters.
In the last year, Vonetta and crew has been featured artist for the Deacons of Deadwood Gala, on Houston Public Media's Arts Insight, and at the Pancakes and Booze art shows in both Houston and Austin.
- Kat Jones-- visual artist with ABC Bodyart for more than 10 years, who started as a model.
- Keston Sylvester-Carrington-- Visual artist and caricaturists, been with ABC bodyart for 12 years.
- Courtland Murray-- Visual artist and graphic designer, joined ABC Bodyart in 2015
- Ashley Hall-- visual artist, joined ABC bodyart in 2015
- Amber Mapp-- Medusa's Mirror Cosplayer, joined the team in 2013
- Madison Thomas- Model/musician joined the team in 2015
Thank you Austin for the great welcome! See you at SXSW.